Saturday, February 20, 2010

Because I Still Haven't Figured Out What to be When I Grow Up...

I've been researching salaries for various positions. Here is some of the interesting salary info I've dug up.

Medical Examiners: The median salary is $87,000.

*Thoughts: Im going to have to nix this one off of the list. I had a brief moment of consideration after watching "Dr. G Medical Examiner" on Discovery Health but the idea left as quickly as it came.

Pro: The people are already dead! No malpractice insurance!

Con: You see some really gross shit EVERY day. Ick.

Forensic Psychologist: Around $60,000-$70,000 with 5 years experience and depending on workplace.

*Thoughts: It's still in the running. I absolutely loved the book "My Life Among the Serial Killers: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers" by Helen Morrison M.D.

Pro: Getting to analyze the worlds most effed up minds. Endless satisfaction to morbid curiosity not to mention job security. As long as there are people, there will be crimes.

Con: Looking cold blooded killers in the eye and having to hold your own. Can you imagine one of them threatening you or someone in your life and having to talk them down? Yikes *insert t-shirt neck pull here*

Chef: Between $34,000-$58,000 with 5 years experience.

*Thoughts: This would completely satisfy my need for a creative position and retain some sort of "artist" title. I wouldn't have sold myself out as a desk jockey.

Pro: I can be an artist and literally never starve!

Con: My career could plateau and I could end up being Olive Garden's finest line cook. Not to
mention all of the nights and weekends I would miss out on in raising my child.

That's all I have thus far. Best believe there will be more to come.

Closing thought: I'm 23, pregnant, my relationship is circling the big white bowl and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. This looks pretty shitty on paper but thank god life isn't reduced to the sum of its parts. Life is grand and I'm riding out this tide.
Eleanor Roosevelt, take us to tomorrow: "As for accomplishments, I just did what I had to do as things came along." -E.R. 


(Please Lord, let what "I have to do" be as grand as Ellie!)

*If only things were as simple as they used to be

0 comments: