Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wednesday Inspiration: Aaron Jamison


Meet Aaron Jamison, terminal colon cancer patient. He does not expect to live past the next nine months. Despite the bleak prognosis this man has maintained an incredible outlook on life. He spends his time handing out bracelets reading things like "Cancer sucks...", "Life is good...", and "Choose joy..."

However, his name is not in the news right now because he hands out bracelets. It's in the news because he is trying to sell ad space on the two urns that will hold his ashes after he passes on. The disability check he receives will not cover his medical bills and he wishes to pay for his cremation and urn costs before he dies so his wife (Kristen) will not have to worry about it. The cost is $800. 

Initially I ran across this story on Gawker.com. After reading the little blurb they had posted I mosey'd on over to his blog and that's when the "wow" hit me. Reading even the first post that came up on the page really shook me out of my disgruntled little world. What an amazing world view this guy has. I encourage you all to take a gander. Below please find his latest blog post re-posted. In it you will also find the information need to donate towards his cause. Donate, you will feel better and bigger than yourself. 

Mr. Jamison, today you have outshone us all...

***

...All other donations, which are NOT tax deductible, can be made either through PayPal

Or can be mailed, with checks made out to Jamison, Aaron Jamison, Kristin Jamison but not to Belle Jamison... because she's our dog and has no access to a bank account or the skills needed to create her own ATM PIN, to:
Aaron, Kristin & Belle
PO Box 72047
Eugene, OR 97401

In other news, or rather, non-news... There is a part of me that is becoming almost excited about this whole process. Dying. It's a small part, but it's there.

As a Christian I believe that there is a life after this one. In truth, lots of religions, and many people with no religious belief whatsoever, believe that there is "something" after all this. (I personally don't adhere to reincarnation because... well... let's just say I don't want to go through puberty again.) My personal perspective believes in the biblical concept of Heaven. A reunion with God where the relationship humans were originally created to have with Him is restored completely and we will finally fill that need, that vacuum, that exists in every one of us.

My beliefs on what Heaven is like, and let's just face the face that no matter who's scriptural interpretation we use/abuse and misquote... we're all just making a hypothesis based on what we know to be true combined with what we hope to be true. But every once in a while my heart become more playful.

It was in one of those playful moments the other day, as I was writing an email that I remembered an old Mike Warnke album and it's title. (Mike Warnke was/is a Christian comedian who's writings and oral history came into much questioning years ago. He's returned to ministry now. But, as a comedian, he always entertained me growing up and taught me many lessons that remain, to this day, scripturally accurate and meaningful in my li
fe.) The album was, Jester In The King's Court.

I smiled and thought, "You know, that could be me really soon." Maybe with all we've got going on down here on Earth. The homeless, the hate, the fighting, people dying for no reason every day... etc. Maybe with all that God just needs to laugh a little more and I'm being called to acommand performance for the King. The King of all Kings. It could be that soon I'll be a jester in the court of my King.

I hope He likes improv and crappy insta-songs with an acoustic guitar. Nothing would please me more, or fulfill my heart, as much as performing for my King, who has given me everything I have.

I hope God blesses you all today with as much joy as you can handle and the best that He has to offer. Thank you for your continued support.

0 comments: